[linux-audio-dev] Choosing a distribution

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Choosing a distribution
From: Michael J McGonagle (fndsnd_AT_rcnchicago.com)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 08:45:06 EET

Hello all,

I am currently in the throws of serious hair loss due to fists clenching
and tugging all as a result from installing software...

Anyway, my problem that I have is that I just don't like RPM. I admit
that I don't know very much about it, but I would think that anyone
should be able to follow installation instructions (and yes I can), and
yet things just don't seem to be a smooth as possible. One of the
roadblocks seems to be cause by package dependacies and RPM not being
able to identify what additional packages it needs.

So, I have been considereing changing from using Mandrake (currently
using 8.0) to using Debian. Does anyone have a success/horror stories
from using Debian? How does their package installation utility compare
to RPM?

The software that I want to be using are Java (jdk1.4), jikes, sfront,
lilypond, gcj/gcc, the intel compiler, and various other sound
utilities. I eventually will add a Midi interface, but that has to wait.

Thanks for any and all suggestion, stories, and comments,

Mike