Re: [linux-audio-dev] Choosing a distribution

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Choosing a distribution
From: John Lazzaro (lazzaro_AT_CS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Sun Mar 03 2002 - 00:24:13 EET

> Is there something different that he is doing?

My (alien-created, on a Redhat machine) .deb's don't get the
dependencies right, and don't put things in the directories
that good Debian packages are supposed to put things. Whereas
his .deb's are correct in both ways ...

> Also, just to mention here, from the tests that I have done with the
> Intel-C compiler (icc), I have been getting about a 3/4 speed increase
> over using gcc!

Not surprising, sfront does its best to generate embarrassingly
parallel code on many types of SAOL code, it could be that icc
can vectorize these in a way that gcc can't ... I've never tested
icc myself, though, so I don't know what its doing ...

                                                                --jl