Re: [linux-audio-dev] Choosing a distribution

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Choosing a distribution
From: Michael J McGonagle (fndsnd_AT_rcnchicago.com)
Date: Sat Mar 02 2002 - 23:55:21 EET

John Lazzaro wrote:

> > Does anyone have a success/horror stories from using Debian? [...]
> > The software that I want [...] sfront,
>
> Enrique Robledo Arnucio has done a really great job with the official
> sfront Debian package:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/testing/sound/sfront.html

John,

Is there something different that he is doing? I thought that 'sfront'
was pure ANSI-C? Or are the things he is doing having to do with the
lower-level audio/midi things?

Also, just to mention here, from the tests that I have done with the
Intel-C compiler (icc), I have been getting about a 3/4 speed increase
over using gcc! This is not representative of all types of synthesis.
Does anyone know if icc works with Debian? (I would think so, but it
does not hurt to ask!).

Also, is the compiler a drop-in replacement for gcc? The command line I
use to call gcc (to compile 'sfront' generated code) works with both, I
am just wondering if there are other 'optimizations' that might help
this even more (with icc)?

Thanks,

Mike