Re: [linux-audio-dev] ideas for a new MIDI API

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ideas for a new MIDI API
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Mar 12 2002 - 17:04:02 EET

>I'm working on a new low level MIDI API and would like
>some comments on the ideas I have for it.

this all looks good, but i still don't understand how this differs
from the ALSA sequencer (except that the sequencer does everything
you've listed, and more besides; it handles merging, for example).

btw: i don't understand your use of the term "low level" here. my
sense of a "low level MIDI API" is one that deals only in terms of raw
bytes to be delivered directly to a MIDI device. as soon as you start
dealing with structured MIDI data, scheduling etc., it seems to me as
if its not low level anymore. what would a "high level MIDI API" be
for you?

--p