Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio apps for linux on PPC: how difficult to recompile?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio apps for linux on PPC: how difficult to recompile?
From: Enrique Robledo Arnuncio (erobledo_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Sat Apr 06 2002 - 12:01:16 EEST

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 06:25:20PM -0500, rm wrote:
> there are many distributions specifically for ppc that come with loads
> of compiled applications (linuxppc, yellowdog, debian (?) ...).
> generally though, most things are compiled from source, so i haven't
> seen it to be a consideration.

Debian certainly does. Using a network installation of the latest
"testing" (woody) distribution, you will have more than 8000 different
packages (most of them compiled aplications) available for ppc.

> i don't have experience with linux ppc and audio apps. this is
> probably less trodden territory.

I don't have that experience, either, but having a look at debian ftp
servers, I have found that the latest versions of libasound (ALSA
library) are available in binary form for ppc, so I guess that the
kernel modules will work fine.

I know about a few audio applications which compile with no problems
in ppc: arts, brahms, sfront, rosegarden... so I guess that most
existent audio applications in debian are already available for ppc in
binary form, and will compile with not much dificulties from source.

The only drawback of using Debian is that the last stable version is
really old now. The only reasonable option right now is installing the
"testing" version through the network, and this is not the easiest way
of installing linux if you are quite new to it.

   Enrique.