Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] seriously screwed up Gtk installation ?FOLLOW-UP

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] seriously screwed up Gtk installation ?FOLLOW-UP
From: Lamar Owen (lamar.owen_AT_wgcr.org)
Date: Sun Apr 14 2002 - 21:55:06 EEST

On Sunday 14 April 2002 10:55 am, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Well, yes and no. My troubles began when RH's 2.96 compiler gave me fits
> over compiling MusE (briefly: it was impossible)

As a very many programs have no problems with the Red Hat pre-gcc3 that is
2.96, I would have to say that it is a MusE problem, not a RH one.

> Gtk. So no thanks to RH for deciding to be the only kid on the block
> with the 2.96 ball.

To be fair to RH, they are funding a large portion of GCC's development, as
well as pouring a large amount of code into gcc3. Oh, RH 7.2 includes a gcc3
set of packages for you to use.

> OTOH, (and as you say, to be fair), MusE apparently does now compile
> under 2.96 so I'm wondering whether the path of least resistance is to
> simply reinstall RH 7.2 on this machine and plan on a Debian install to
> a new disk.

While some may cringe at the thought, I think you would do well to install the
Red Hat Skipjack public beta (7.2.93), or wait until the next RedHat is
released (all indications are that that will be soon, as there have now been
two public beta announcements). I'm running 7.2.93 here and like it.

The 2.4.18 kernel in it appears to have the low latency and preemptible
patches, making for a good low-latency platform.

> The Book Of Linux Music & Sound at http://www.nostarch.com/lms.htm
> The Linux Soundapps Site at http://linux-sound.org

Not so incidentally, many thanks for both of these resources. I Bought the
Book (TM), and it is good. And I use the linux-soud stuff all the time.

While we're at it on that, does anyone know of a radio station on-air
automation system in development? There are a couple of commercial ones
available (one is On Air Digital -- see http://www.onairusa.com/rshd.htm for
how they use Linux), but I'm not hot on commercial software.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio