Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] seriously screwed up Gtk installation ?FOLLOW-UP

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] seriously screwed up Gtk installation ?FOLLOW-UP
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Mon Apr 15 2002 - 21:24:06 EEST

Hi Dave,
Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:

> OTOH, (and as you say, to be fair), MusE apparently does now compile
> under 2.96 so I'm wondering whether the path of least resistance is to
> simply reinstall RH 7.2 on this machine and plan on a Debian install to
> a new disk.

Installing Debian is actually a good choice. I found, that most (not
all) people who installed Debian once, stayed with it since then. Me,
too. In fact, I am still using the same install from Debian 1.3 now.
That, don't know, must be three or four years now, or even more. This
installation has been with me from an AMD 486 133MHz over two K6's and
now to an Athlon 900. It went over three motherboards and even more
harddiscs without a single reinstall. I made the switch from bash 1.x
to bash2.x, switched from libc5 to libc6, but the hardest upgrade was
one of Perl, I think from 4->5, because suddenly the package tool dpkg
stopped working, but it was simple to fix in the end. Now, with
apt-get things are very smooth, and with the "testing" branch one is
not that much in danger of breaking things anymore like in the old
days, when you had to run "unstable" when it was unstable sometimes.

Plus: The support on the debian mailing lists is outstanding. Or at
least was, I'm only on the german debian list now.

So I recommend you go with a decent supplier of cd-images for Debian
"testing"...

Ciao,

--
                                                 __    __