[linux-audio-dev] [OT] Distributions [was Re:[OT] seriously screwed up Gtk]

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Distributions [was Re:[OT] seriously screwed up Gtk]
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2002 - 12:44:30 EEST

Hi Juhana,
Juhana Sadeharju hat gesagt: // Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> I have had major problems with Debian:
> [installation probs]

Well, obviously you have been bitten by installar bugs. They are not
acceptable and should be fixed, maybe some of them are already. But
you also speak of a weak spot of Debian: It's installation is quite
error prone. Because of that, I see Debian as a "second distribution":
One still has to know to much about Linux problems in advance.

> Also, Debian package installer is not good at all. It is messy looking
> and makes it hard to see the big picture of the installation.

Day-to-day package management and the initial installation are
different things, IMO. For everyday package installation via network
apt-get is great, and for updates from CD it also works very well.
There are frontends like aptitude that show more of the big picture.
But keep in mind, that there are hundreds of package maintainers, not
just a single enterprise. The big task is keeping all their work in
sync. If you ever messed up an RPM-based system with rpm-packages for
the wrong distribution you will be glad, that dpkg and apt exist.

> Non-free (read: open source but with no Debian suitable license)
> packages are not on CDs/CD images -- makes life difficult if one
> does not have a network connection.

Many Debian distributors put non-free packages on their CDs as well.
The official Debian images will never include non-free software. It
would be against the Debian-GNU/Linux philosophy of free software.

> Well, I just want a working system. I don't have time to "get used to
> it" -- the system must work from the very beginning. This was a year
> and half ago when I had an unique opportunity to download Linux CD
> images -- I choosed wrong. I have an another opportunity within a couple
> of months: I will get both SuSE and RedHat just in case either of them
> fails.

SuSE and Red Hat and Mandrake and all have their place in Linux-land
as well. Just take what you like best. And without SuSE I think, ALSA
would be as far as it is today.

ciao,

--
                                                 __    __