Re: [linux-audio-dev] dynamic linking

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] dynamic linking
From: Martijn Sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 15:42:15 EEST

> > Then my question is, wouldn't it be possible for the ALSA library to not
use
> > global symbols from its dynamically loaded libraries? That would make
> > from a library loaded with RTLD_LOCAL possible right?
>
> Possible, yes, but that would mean that all ALSA plugins would have to be
> implemented without the support framework offered by libasound. In
> practise this would mean duplicating libasound code in each and
> every plugin, which I think is a terribly bad idea.

Perhaps what I'm about to say is incredibly stupid ( , I'm not an expert on
dynamic linking ) , but aren't these ALSA plugins linked with libasound?
Wouldn't that make libasound available to the plugins? I'm using pthreads
and realtime stuff in my plugins and this works even when the application
that loads the plugins doesn't use it and is not linked to it.

--martijn