Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT: Electronic advice for PC.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT: Electronic advice for PC.
From: Frank van de Pol (fvdpol_AT_home.nl)
Date: Tue Apr 30 2002 - 21:33:43 EEST

Patrick, you might have a hard time finding a battery suitable for
delevering all required voltages.

If I look at the ATX spec (I presume you are using a standard atx
motherboard) you'll have to provide next voltages:

+3.3V +/- 5% (with remote sensing to compensate for voltage drops)
+5.0V +/- 5%
+12.0V +/- 5%
-5.0V +/- 10% (needed for serial ports, sound etc.)
-12.0V +/- 10% (needed for serial ports, sound etc.)

power distribution for a 160W configuration would be approximate:

+3.3V between 0.3 and 14A
+5.0V between 1 and 18 A
+12.0V between 0 and 6 A

(from http://www.enhanceusa.com/documents/ATX12V.pdf)

So it actually does really make sense to use a DC/DC convertor (most likely
some inverter) to transform the battery voltages into what's needed for the
board.

Frank.

--