Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA Specs ?
From: Conrad Parker (conrad_AT_vergenet.net)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 01:41:57 EEST

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 01:08:19PM +0200, Stefan Kost wrote:
> Hi,
> > On Tue, 7 May 2002 xavier.moulet_AT_free.fr wrote:
> >

> >>Idem for presets : this subject has been discussed a lot, but how do we store
> >>them and where, finally ?
> >

> > Where? That was never really decided. I think the idea was to have one
> > under $LADSPA_PATH/presets and that others could be added as well. I
> > don't know of any programs that do this now.
>
> The use of libxml(2) is what I would recommend too. For the path I would suggest
> $LADSPA_PATH/share/presets/[plugin]/
>
> Ideally the LADSPA plugins would be in in $LADSPA_PATH/lib
> Tools (like listplugins) could be in $LADSPA_PATH/bin

the directories used should follow the FHS (filesystem heirarchy standard:

    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

(AFAIK required by most distros). This would mean the following directories:

  plugins: $PREFIX/lib/ladspa/
  tools: $PREFIX/bin/
  presets: $PREFIX/share/ladspa/

for package installations where $PREFIX is /usr, assuming all this data
can be installed read-only. For consistency, installations in other
directories (eg. /usr/local/ rather than /usr) should work similarly.
Read-write data (such as user-saved params) should go in the user's home
dir (~/.ladspa) or /var/share/ladspa.

We shouldn't encourage putting everything under one dir (such as
/opt/ladspa or /usr/local/ladspa). The rationale for all this is outlined
in the intro to section 2 of the FHS, and is to do with allowing the
software to be installed on shared filesystems for multiple architectures.

Conrad.