Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio project

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio project
From: Jörn Nettingsmeier (nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 01:24:48 EEST

Henry Gomersall wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 21:58, Martin Wolters wrote:
> > Did you also check the ALSA HowTo from Nagorni:
> > http://www.suse.de/~mana/alsa090_howto.html
>
> I'm looking at that at the moment.
>
> It seems the doc project for Jack is practically non existent. I am not
> sufficiently competent in C to understand Jack solely from an API
> reference.

there is a simple example client. i'm not much of a c coder myself, but
it helped me understand the basics of JACK.

> A quick question, do I need to load a Jack server independently of my
> actual software?

yes. (there was talk of "including" jack into applications via a
jacklib, so that your program would take the role of a jack server if
none can be found at startup, but that's probably complicating things a
bit...)

> If so, does this have an increased processing overhead?

i think that's negligible for the task you are doing. i may be wrong,
though.

--
Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat
the yellow snow !