Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio project

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] audio project
From: Frank Barknecht (barknech_AT_ph-cip.uni-koeln.de)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 11:54:08 EEST

Paul Barton-Davis hat gesagt: // Paul Barton-Davis wrote:

> as for docs: yes, what we have right now is mostly a reference. but we
> hope that the example clients (simple_client.c being the simplest)
> explain things fairly well. the basic idea is that you register with
> JACK, then supply a callback function that will be executed whenever
> there is work to do. you have no control of or over the audio
> interface, and indeed, there may not even be an audio interface. your
> application doesn't care about stuff like this anymore. this is the
> same as Mac OS X's CoreAudio API and several other excellent APIs.

Just a quick question, that might be better placed on jackit-devel or
the portaudio list, but I'm not on those:

What's the status of a jack-interface for portaudio?

I like the multi-platform approach of portaudio a lot, and portaudio
is used in some nice applications. For example PD uses portaudio for
ASIO and OS-X. I figure, that if portaudio would support Jack, PD can
be made Jack-aware without the need for a patch like the one in
existence. And for my future own application I intend to go portaudio
because of greater platform independence.

ciao,

--
 Frank Barknecht                                  _ _______footils__