Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans
From: Maarten de Boer (mdeboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 11:05:22 EEST

I have the same problem as you. And the additional problem
of having the PC in the livingroom, where I am torturing my
daughter and girlfriend with the noise :-(

Anyway, when I bought my pc, the already gave me a
more expensive fan, because "the got so many people
complaining about the noise". That fan was a
Thermaltake Volcano.

http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7.htm

But it is still way to noisy for me. I replaced it by
a Zalman.

http://www.zalmantech.com/CNPS-5100CU.htm

Noise did reduce, though certainly not as much as expected
from the salestalk, and not as much as I hoped. And
temperature gets pretty high, but I have been told that this
is likely because of the mainboard, an ASUS A7V 266E.
I am no overclocker, but even with underclocking I need
to have the fan running rather high to keep temperatures
reasonable.

I also replaced the fan in the power supply, which did make
some difference, but still not enough.

The last thing I will try is replacing the fans with
Verax Silencers or Verax Cair dB, but they are hard to find
here (Barcelona)

All in all, I am pretty annoyed with the whole thing. I
certainly regret having bought an AMD Athlon and a ASUS
mainboard. I have no experience with Pentiums and other
mainboards, but as I understand they don't run as hot.
If I would buy my computer knowing all this, I probably
would by a PowerMac.

Maarten