Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans
From: Maarten de Boer (mdeboer_AT_iua.upf.es)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 13:06:55 EEST

> Really? I've got an A7V266E and haven't noticed anything hot.. and
> anyway, I've never heard of a motherboard making a system hot in the
> first place.

I have no prove of this, it is just something I heard. But I do have
to say mainboard temp gets high, but I am not sure if this is the
processors fault.

> The A7V266E *does* happen to have a motherboard fan on it, but from what
> I hear it is just for show and overclockers. There are many other
> boards with the exact same chipset which don't come with a fan, so go
> figure. Asus always made their boards to be as stable as possible under
> overclocking conditions, so I guess that meant adding a cheap fan in
> this case.
> [...]
> Did you try removing the fan on the motherboard chipset? It's a
> worthless, cheap fan, which has been known to be loud.

Yes, this is a particular noisy fan, with a very annoying high frequency
component. Are you suggesting that I can turn it of safely if I am not
doing overclocking? Currently, I am actually doing underclocking
(running an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ at 1100)

> So I think that your regrets about the Asus motherboard and AMD athlon
> are likely to have been misplaced. In my experience, these choices have
> nothing to do with noise. It has much more to do with the particular
> fans you get.

What fans do you use? Or isn't the noise a problem for you?

Maarten