Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans
From: Michael Toomim (toomim_AT_cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 13:16:03 EEST

Rick Burnett wrote:
> PS If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. I have an
> Athlon 1.3 GHz (And the Power supply is quiet, I bought a special one
> for that).

Rick, I looked through all the different CPU fan options available,
trying to find one that would be quiet while keeping my CPU stable. In
the end, it looked like there was a simple tradeoff between noise and
cooling-power. The cooler you want your fan to be, the higher the
noise-level you have to be willing to accept.

This general rule excludes high-priced exotic fans like the flower one
you were talking about, as well as stupid things like the golden orb
which are both hot AND loud... :(

Consequently, I decided to buy a retail box athlon, which comes with an
AMD-supplied fan and heatsink. I was gauranteed that the fan would be
both stable and quiet enough for the average person. It works great,
and I'm very happy with my decision.

It sounds like you got an extra-loud fan. Before splurging on the
flower, I'd recommend at least checking out another fan (maybe find one
on another machine similar to yours) to see if it's possible to bring
your computer down to a sane volume level using only standard
components. If so, you could save yourself some money -- there are
quite a few decent, cheap, quiet fans out there.

Michael