Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans
From: Michael Toomim (toomim_AT_cs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 13:30:01 EEST

Maarten de Boer wrote:
>>Really? I've got an A7V266E and haven't noticed anything hot.. and
>>anyway, I've never heard of a motherboard making a system hot in the
>>first place.
>
> I have no prove of this, it is just something I heard. But I do have
> to say mainboard temp gets high, but I am not sure if this is the
> processors fault.

Where are you reading your temperatures? You sure that it's the
motherboard and not the CPU? Do you know where on the motherboard this
reading is coming from (the chipset, or just a general ambient case
thermometer)?

What type of climate do you live in? (Is the room temperature hot?)

> Yes, this is a particular noisy fan, with a very annoying high frequency
> component. Are you suggesting that I can turn it of safely if I am not
> doing overclocking? Currently, I am actually doing underclocking
> (running an AMD Athlon XP 1700+ at 1100)

Yep, that's what I'm suggesting. Try running your computer and touching
the heatsink or the chip (or whatever you can reach). Does it burn your
fingertip? If the heatsink isn't hotter than the temperature of the
air, then the fan won't do anything anyway. If it doesn't burn your
finger, then it's probably not hot enough to cause the chip to
malfunction. Mine is close to COLD, so I don't think the fan is
necessary at all.

The CPU speed shouldn't affect this chipset's heat, unless your
underclocking means that the bus is running at a slower speed, etc. Did
you underclock your FSB from 133 to 100? That would probably make it
even safer to remove the heatsink. I think that Asus is the only
company to put a fan on that chipset anyway, for any FSB speed.

BUT, I just tried disconnecting mine, and it made absolutely no
difference in sound! If I put the fan in my ear I could hear it by
straining, but the CPU fan totally outclasses it otherwise. It was also
a pain in the butt to remove. The fan is connected to the motherboard
with two little pins that go through holes in the board and have
arrow-head clasps on the other side that you have to squeeze in order to
remove the pins... but it seems like the only way to get to the
arrow-heads (in order to squeeze them) is to unscrew the board from the
case (at least for me). Also, there is a bunch of greesy
thermal-compound between the chip and the heatsink that you'd have to
clean up after removing the fan...

>>So I think that your regrets about the Asus motherboard and AMD athlon
>>are likely to have been misplaced. In my experience, these choices have
>>nothing to do with noise. It has much more to do with the particular
>>fans you get.
>
> What fans do you use? Or isn't the noise a problem for you?

I use AMD's standard athlon fan. I can hear it, but it definitely
qualifies as quiet. Especially when you compare it to my girlfriend's
computer.