RE: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] OT CPU Fans
From: mikko.a.helin_AT_nokia.com
Date: Tue Jun 04 2002 - 13:29:24 EEST

I've got the Xp1500+ with QuietPC PSU and a spire copperrock cooler on top of which I mounted the fan using silicone to reduce the mechanical vibrations. Not yet as quiet as my other PC with Celeron 1200. There are other solutions, water cooling for an example is a good one. There are kits which put the WC inside your PC and have low noise level. With cheap kits (<100 EUR/$) you have to use external water tank and radiator. Works ok but then you have to treat your PC as you treat your flowers, don't let them dry out dead (it's difficult but maybe possible to make the diy watercooling system foolproof). One thing to remember with aircooling: it can only make the CPU cool if the air inside case is cooler than the CPU. So by bringing a lot of cool air straight onto your cooler from the outside via a 80 mm or so plastic tube can make a huge difference in temperature and you may cope without a HSF (highspeedfan) cooler. Check out the low-speed Papst coolers after improving the ai!
r income, they are really quiet (12 dB or so vs. >30 dB regular ones, though not as effective).

-Mikko