Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample conversion tools

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Sample conversion tools
From: rm (async_AT_cc.gatech.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 05 2002 - 10:05:07 EEST

On Tue, Jun 04, 2002 at 12:43:53AM -0600, Josh Green wrote:
> I still don't completely understand what your goal is, could you
> elaborate more on it? Then I can get a better idea of how these two
> projects could be complementary :)

basically, i want to convert from sample cds in a few formats to wave
files and maybe an xml file representing pertinent ancillary
information.

this data could then be used in programs/editors/etc( perhaps by using
a library such as libInstPatch).

> Goals for libInstPatch:
> To be honest I'm really not interested in supporting every synthesizer
> patch format out there. My current goals are to add DLS support
> (SoundFonts are already fully supported and used in Swami). So in this
> sense I can see how these two projects don't overlap in goals.

my tool is complementary in the sense that it could convert file
formats which you might not want to support (and might not be worth
supporting) into a simple intermediary which could be easily
supported by libInstPatch.

> BTW if anyone is interested in helping out with libInstPatch I could
> really use it. Even just some help with decisions, like whether using
> glib is a good/bad idea. Or if I should even use GObject? I'm also
> looking for Swami developers :) Cheers!

i'm probably not the most knowledgeable person to be taking
information from, and i know i always feel abit anxious about making
design decisions where there are multiple approaches and no clear
winner. the remedy i think is the whole purpose of LAD.

wrt GLIB, i would definitely recommend it. it's well supported, fairly
small, and makes coding with complex data structures in C bearable.

i'm not sure about gobject (haven't made much use of it), but it seems
it will be a safe bet. coincidently, some parts of the new gtk object
system were prototyped in tim janik's own audio application, Beast,
(http://beast.gtk.org/)
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2000-March/msg00173.html
describes the change over and features).

                thanks,
                 rob

----
Robert Melby
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt4255a
Internet: async_AT_cc.gatech.edu