Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Billy Biggs (vektor_AT_div8.net)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 20:37:17 EEST

On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Alexander Ehlert wrote:

> [...] The programs you mentioned cost a lot of money and their
> programmers work full time on it. And they have to do those nice GUI's
> if they want to sell it. Having a shiny metal interface doesn't mean
> their sound better, anyway. If I compare reactor with glame, I'd say
> that glame & ladsa plugins provides the better guitar fx box with less
> latency. They charge 200 Euro for it... Ok, we still don't have MIDI,
> hm

  For more discussion, the Korg ER-1 drum machine is, in my opinion, an
amazing piece of gear. It doesn't do anything that hasn't been done
before, and it's much less powerful than similar instruments, but the
interface is perfect for composing and playing around.

  The same holds for software as well: interface is almost everything. I
would much rather have a sequencer with less features and a good UI than a
fully-featured one that's annoying to use. When composing it's important
to "forget technology: think music".

  This was the thought behind my sequencer: ttrk (http://div8.net/ttrk).
I did a UI that I'm pretty proud of for the target platform: basically
it's an Alesis MMT8 meets a tracker in 80x50 textmode on an old PC, low
enough latency to have really smooth drumrolls even at high bpm, and it
syncs happily to external MIDI clock (essential for my setup).

  Of course, since I have a market size of 1 (myself), and pretty much no
interest from the open-source community, the project hasn't gone
anywhere else. But I'm quite happy with it. :)

--
Billy Biggs                         vektor_AT_div8.net
http://www.div8.net/billy       wbiggs_AT_uwaterloo.ca