Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: Alexander Ehlert (zwarok_AT_t-online.de)
Date: Mon Jun 10 2002 - 19:52:13 EEST

Hi,
> Why we dont have apps such as Reason, Reaktor, Sonar, Sound Forge,
> etc? I dont mean full apps, but at least projects aiming for that kind
> of thing.

Because only 2% of the linux audio programmers try to make a living of
that.
I personally dislike GUI programming, programming soundfx is much more
interesting and I usually do that for my personal pleasure. And other
people
can benfit of that work, too. The programs you mentioned cost a lot of
money and
their programmers work full time on it. And they have to do those nice
GUI's if they
want to sell it. Having a shiny metal interface doesn't mean their sound
better, anyway.
If I compare reactor with glame, I'd say that glame & ladsa plugins
provides the better guitar
fx box with less latency. They charge 200 Euro for it... Ok, we still
don't have MIDI, hm

> Do we lack good APIs? Alsa MIDI api is the best I have seen for it's
No,l but good documentation for it. Still there's lot missing in the
ALSA docu.
> kind. Also, sould linux apps really take this windows approach of
> making huge bloated interfaces with lots of eye candy, or should we
You just have to find someone who likes GUI programming...

> try to improve on making our apps intercommunicate between eachother,
> while still giving some importance to ease of use?

Sure, that's what jack is all about.

Cheers, Alex