Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Poll about linux music audio app usability
From: David Olofson (david_AT_gardena.net)
Date: Tue Jun 11 2002 - 05:18:26 EEST

On Monday 10 June 2002 18.52, Alexander Ehlert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Why we dont have apps such as Reason, Reaktor, Sonar, Sound
> > Forge, etc? I dont mean full apps, but at least projects aiming
> > for that kind of thing.
>
> Because only 2% of the linux audio programmers try to make a living
> of that.
> I personally dislike GUI programming, programming soundfx is much
> more interesting and I usually do that for my personal pleasure.
> And other people
> can benfit of that work, too. The programs you mentioned cost a lot
> of money and
> their programmers work full time on it. And they have to do those
> nice GUI's if they
> want to sell it.

Free/Open Source hackers also have to "sell" their work to be truly
successful. Nice user interfaces attract users - and around here,
many users like to hack their favourite tools if they can.

There is a difference, but it's not all that big.

> Having a shiny metal interface doesn't mean their
> sound better, anyway.

Right, but some users would say that nice GUIs are more inspiring to
work with...

[...]
> > kind. Also, sould linux apps really take this windows approach of
> > making huge bloated interfaces with lots of eye candy, or should
> > we
>
> You just have to find someone who likes GUI programming...

...and wants to hack a *really* complex one for a music application.
You also need to find a good GUI designer, unless you're lucky enough
to find someone that can do both.

I'm quite sure it's not remotely as easy as you suggest.

//David

| Multimedia Application Integration Architecture |
`---------------------------> http://www.linuxdj.com/maia/ -'