Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] RFC: API for audio across network - inter-host audio routing
From: Lamar Owen (lamar.owen_AT_wgcr.org)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 21:31:46 EEST

On Thursday 13 June 2002 11:59 am, dgm4 wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> >French Horn. Its bore is as long as a tuba's. I have played horn before,
> > and there is a definite, barely detectable delay between initiation of
> > the note and the perception of the note (which is both by ear and by hand
> > in the case of the horn). The long bore is one reason the horn's attack
> > is quite mellow.

> To say nothing of pipe organs, where the latency can be nearly half a
> second (!) in a large church.

Yeah, but organists are trained to compensate for that. That's one reason
there are so many manuals. But it does make the music interesting to play.
I know a concert organist who is rather accomplished; I didn't even think
about his techniques when I mentioned horn. When one stop is half a second
removed from another, odd and interesting effects can be produced by one who
know the instrument and the acoustics of the venue well enough.

But I think most musicians don't want to have to deal with the pipe organ
techniques.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio