Re: [linux-audio-dev] Buffering idea

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Buffering idea
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 20:22:23 EEST

>patent was applied for are likely to be in infringment. Steinberg
>VST could infringe this patent, but I would imagine they could prove
>prior implementation of audio caching algorithms that would prevent
>any suit from succeeding.

VST does not relate to the patent; Halion does, and Steinberg have
refused even semi-private comment on how they avoided patent issues.

>Now, if you can find a peice of public domain dsp software that
>predates the patent and used audio caching, then you should be

this illustrates the central problem with s/w patents. OS-based
read-ahead caching predates by decades any attempt to do anything like
gigasampler does. but because the USPTO considers it to be OK to
patent the application of an idea from one domain in another, and
because it considers audio s/w to be a different domain to operating
systems, even though they both manifest identically, its fine to get a
patent like the one for gigasampler. IMHO, this is nothing short of
insane.

--p