Re: [linux-audio-dev] App metadata intercomunication protocol..

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App metadata intercomunication protocol..
From: n++k (knos_AT_free.fr)
Date: Tue Jul 23 2002 - 09:43:36 EEST

Just a comment on the metadata persistence:

Why not use an SQL database for storing session/project metadata?
(configuration and such) We have the benefit of having a few quite
stable free software SQL databases. (mysql, postgresql, sapdb) so
requiring one wouldn't be too much to ask.. The persistence protocol
(sql) is already there and tested, the administration is as easy as
with plain text files, and (I think) the schema is a lot easier to
design than that of a set of interrelated XML files. (hierarchical
databases?)

Of course some minimum work has to be done on the schema of the
project manager, so that applications can themselves identify the
project in question, but that doesn't sound like the complicated part
to me.

-Nicolas Léveillé

On Tue, Jul 23 2002 - 01:17:27 EEST
Juan Linietsky wrote:
    On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 16:44:00 -0400
    Paul Winkler <pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 05:18:46PM -0300, Juan Linietsky wrote:
> > I think this can be solved by developing a metadata protocol
> > between apps, so the can intercommunicate
> > status and other things, and having a "master" app that manages
> > projects and things like that, by just
> > retrieving/storing status in the other apps.
>
> Yes yes yes yes. We *need* something like this.
>
> Even if some people want to write enormous monolithic apps, what
> happens when there's that one little thing you need another jack
> client for? Ooops, you're outside the box and off into modular
> world. It's inevitable.

    I think something like that could be extremely useful, and not only
    for audio. Also if a certain program only supports commandline, even a
    shell/perl
    script wrapper for it could be useful.

    How do you think the implementation should be? I cant think of much,
    but
    i think even a simple communication protocol that can send
    tree-organized data
    between apps over either tcp or unix sockets should be enough.. Also
    this
    way it could save/load data from XML files. I think XML is very
    important for this
    because 1-It's standard 2-If we dont use it, We'll have all the xml
    lovers saying
    the lib is crap because it doesnt use XML ;)