Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] App intercomunication issues, some views.
From: Andy Wingo (wingo_AT_pobox.com)
Date: Wed Jul 24 2002 - 17:24:50 EEST

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002, Richard Bown wrote:

> Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > JACK provides both current time and information on the latency
>
> Oh right - so jack_port_get_total_latency() is working now? Excellent.
> Last time I asked it was still in the planning stage.
>
> What apps have an example implementation of the JACK transport controls?
> Neither ecasound or ardour appear to but I'm probably a bit out of date
> with them. And again, why should I care about the JACK transport?

I've been meaning for some time to make a universal transport control, a
separate app whose sole purpose would be transport control.
This would be rad (TM) for a number of reasons:

1) Get your whole rig to start at once, even if you're not using
ecasound or ardour

2) beat-based clocks -- synchronize multiple sequencers, and control
them all from one panel

3) funny tricks with beats -- speed up, slow down the tempo. Loop the
last 4 beats. All the GDAM tricks, but on a system-wide level.*

Anyway. I'm way excited about these possibilities, if you can't tell ;)

regards,

wingo.

* You'll run into some buffering issues here when streaming from disk.
Oh well.