Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alas, reborn is no more?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Alas, reborn is no more?
From: Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 20:08:48 EEST

Hi *,
Dave Phillips wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how many of you actually wrote to David Singer
> ?
>
> I've been corresponding with him since ReBorn was announced. He
> does/did in fact plan to release his code: he tells me that he is a
> hardware engineer by trade and he doesn't feel the current codebase is
> worthy of anyone else's look-see until he gets a chance to clean up what
> he already knows needs cleaning.

I have to second this opinion here. I was on vacation/on a company trip
for a few weeks, and when I returned, I found this new piece of audio
software. I downloaded it at home, unpacked it, tried it out, and found
it to be quite impressive (and I really had a good laugh when I saw how
much it tries to resemble the Rebirth look :-). So I thought, "ok,
tomorrow when I'll get to the office, I'll read the lad list's opinions
on this piece of software".

What I found then was quite horrible. Except for just a few "thumbs up"
mails at the beginning, things were mostly turning around how much the
filter/303 emu sucks, where the source code is, what a loser the
programmer must be etc. I really missed the technical discussion there -
the level of expertise this list typically shows.

There are more examples of binary-only Linux programs around (RTSynth as
a first example I could think of) where people don't seem to be THAT
bothered about unavailability of source code. Granted, if David Singer
uses code written by others, he should release it, and I have a feeling
that he will really do so. He even clearly stated from which projects he
borrowed code.

So please, even if this is the summer time :-) with little standard
topics being discussed, cool down a bit, folks. After all, David has put
together a nice piece of software (though not complete yet, arguments
about missing Jack support etc are perfectly legal from my point of
view), and he said it's an early release, so give him some time.

If those people over at Propellerheads call him a criminal, that's their
opinion. We should not add more harm, but instead give him some support
and acknowledgement of what he has done.

As for me, I really hope he'll be able to make Reborn into a
"non-infringing" application and will also release source code some day.
I'm waiting with excitement for what comes next.

> Btw, I agree that his PDF documentation is great. It would be nice to
> see that more often (hint, hint)...

Oh, yes! :-}.

Peace,
Frank

--
      Frank Neumann (Frank.Neumann_AT_st.com), VIONA Development Center
            STMicroelectronics, Karlstraße 27, 76133 Karlsruhe