Re: [linux-audio-dev] What I think about reborn.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What I think about reborn.
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_op.net)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 13:33:27 EEST

>perpetrators. What would be helpful is not just the sites with links to
>linux audio apps, but maybe a site that would be a resource for learning
>c/c++ dsp coding under linux. I for one have not had the benefit of a

there is nothing special about linux when it comes to writing dsp code.

there are a few differences writing c/c++ for Unix-like systems
compared with Windows or MacOS (pre-X) systems.

most of the work of writing audio apps goes into (1) the backend
engine and (2) the UI (which may be a GUI, or not). neither of these
require any particularly deep understanding of DSP coding or math
skill that are any different than those needed writing other kinds of
software. there are a few exceptions i know of, but i can count them
on the fingers of one hand right now.

this is the main rationale behind simple plugin architectures,
BTW. LADSPA isolates the stuff that *does* require an understanding of
DSP in small, reusable modules.

--p