Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] Chameleon DSP engine

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] Chameleon DSP engine
From: Ingo Oeser (ingo.oeser_AT_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Fri Aug 16 2002 - 12:18:54 EEST

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:24:31AM +0200, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> >We would write drivers for exactly the 4 modes described above,
> >so the DSP could actually just a kind of plugin to your sound
> >architecture of choice.
> Doesn't the fact that the Chameleon
> sits in a rack defeat this purpose ?

As long as there is some way, we can exchange data with the DSP and
exchange it's programs, which isn't all that slow, I have to
disagree.

> I was just wondering what the price
> would be of the TI DSP processor
> board you used for the paper
> and if it would be remotely useful
> for audio processing.

TI and other companies sell so called "Evaluation Boards" or
"Evaluation Modules". The smallest ones are attached via Parallel
Port or soon via USB. We have two different PCI boards with TI chips.
One supports up to 4 DSPs and thus is capable of doing even video
processing, but its just a C44 board.

Both boards support standalone running of the DSP, while not
plugged into a PCI slot, but having their power lines wired of
course. The newer one with an C66 has even a A/D and D/A
converter. (so it's also a bloated sound card ;-)).

They are made for developing applications for the DSP and
examining its behavior via hardware debugging.

In short: They have lots of useless features.

Price: We got them donated, but they cost about half a car, if
   you get them new, we have been told.

Regards

Ingo Oeser

--
Science is what we can tell a computer. Art is everything else. --- D.E.Knuth