Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 11:37:32 EEST

>> That said, I think Patrick is right to start thinking about this now.

Thanks.

>I think he's completely right - I'm not sure about this bank account
>thing but I do think that now is the time to be demoing, talking up and
>generally approaching people and companies about Linux music software.
>I wrote us up (and mentioned a few other apps) in the latest edition of
>Linux User - John at mstation.org has been very kind so far as well.
>Now is the right time to be talking to people and getting the
>"products" out there. If it works - why not tell people about it?

The reason I believe we need to have various bank accounts are because
we cannot afford to waste money on excessive service charges and not
everyone has access to credit cards. If we have the accounts in the
right countries then people can just donate cash.

 From a professional perspective we need to show our prospective clients
that we have sound financial thinking. It's mostly a subconscious need
that consumers have. They want to know that the money they are investing
is being given to people/companies/organisations who use it. Most people
don't really care how it is used although we have the moral
justification on our side too.

This is from the Sound on Sound advertising package.

"The main target market of Sound On Sound is the professional
and semi-professional musician who is the kind of person that will have
the spending ability to purchase a large range of products from
synthesizers to samplers, mixing desks to microphones, multitracks to
monitors, effects to expanders and computer hardware and software.
They are not time wasters who do not know their profession - they are
serious and mature individuals working with a reasonable budget."

If we want to appeal to this audience we need to prove to them that they
are investing in professional audio. We need to wine them and dine them
(metaphorically). If they look into our commmunity and say these are
just amateur geeks who have made some interesting things happen it won't
work. If we take the intiative and lead them into our world they will
come at it from the perspective that we are professionals who have
created a very credible concept that we are proud of and want them to
enjoy using.

They will ask "What kind of cash have we invested" and if we come back
with "Ahh, well we don't actually have a scope on the financial side of
our open community." They are just going to look around for a while and
leave.

If we can show them that not only are we mathematics and logics wizards
but that we also have solid business sense then they are going to stick
around and see what we have to offer. A lot of them will probably invest
just to test the waters or to keep up with the play.

I want to see an advertising campaign happen that will educate and
encourage the mass of potential user to take the step. I also want to
make sure that we have covered our asses when they finally walk in
through the doors.

It's a choice between being amatuer enthusiasts or professionals.

If we come across as professionals people won't give a toss about
geekyness.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem