Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Patrick Shirkey (pshirkey_AT_boosthardware.com)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 20:20:49 EEST

Richard Bown wrote:
> On Sunday 20 October 2002 09:37, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>

>> From a professional perspective we need to show our prospective
>>clients that we have sound financial thinking.
>

> As in, we worked on this for years and years for no money and then at
> the end of it all we give this stuff away? I'm sure they'll all be
> blown away by our sound financial thinking.

As in we worked on this for years as independants but now we have a
vibrant community that needs to put it's money where it's mouth is.

>>It's a choice between being amatuer enthusiasts or professionals.
>

> This is the whole trick isn't it? But there's more to being
> professional then just about bunging a few adverts in a popular
> magazine.

Sure is. But it is an important step for recoginition in the
professional audio world.

>There is no "we" and there is no "they", not yet - there are
> just some guys and girls, making some stuff and dreamily wondering if
> that'll make them music/famous/popular/rich/happy.

There is a "we".

Linux Audio Developers.

Many of us are not interested in being percieved as just dreamers but
expect to be recognised as professionals. I'm confused as to where you
stand.

There are three theys.

Everyone else who can make professional use of our work, everyone else
who will use our work, just not professionally and everyone else who
will benefit from the uses that our work gets put to.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

"Um...symbol_get and symbol_put... They're kindof like does anyone remember like get_symbol and put_symbol I think we used to have..." - Rusty Russell in his talk on the module subsystem