Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: David Gerard Matthews (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 21:58:39 EEST

Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> I have no definitive idea of where or what would be the best media to
> advertise. I have many ideas of what should be said though.
>
> DGM has mentioned
>
> SoS
> Electronic musician
>
> I would like to add
>
> google
> The independant
> The New York times

It occurs to me that maybe the people to go after (for the time being)
are people already using Linux, but
who use other platforms for music. This is a not insignificant
population. Lots of people dual-boot or have
several machines, but don't think of Linux as a possibility for audio.
 Some of these people are also developers,
which helps, but I think one of the biggest problems we've got is that
we have too many people working on too
many different projects. Lots of people are trying to write their own
softsynths - but everyone would be better
served by their contributing code to existing projects instead. All
those hackers working on little toy editors
should probably be contributing to Sweep or Snd or even Ardour. So it
seems to me that if we're going to
advertise, the place to do it is on sites like Slashdot or the Onion,
and the thing to do is to try to attract developers
to existing projects.

> What are some of the non english speaking possibilities?

There's a pretty good German magazine I used to read when I lived in
Austria, but I forget the name of it.

-dgm