Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: image problem [was Re: [Alsa-devel] help for a levelmeter]
From: Peter L Jones (peter_AT_drealm.org.uk)
Date: Sun Oct 20 2002 - 22:50:09 EEST

On Sunday 20 Oct 2002 19:58, David Gerard Matthews wrote:
[snip]
> Some of these people are also developers,
> which helps, but I think one of the biggest problems we've got is that
> we have too many people working on too
> many different projects. Lots of people are trying to write their own
> softsynths - but everyone would be better
> served by their contributing code to existing projects instead.
[snip]

So, we need to take a poll of the best architected open source example of each
category of sound app and put it up in big letters somewhere so people can
find it.

Of course, the examples would have to be useable and useful at the point of
being announced, otherwise time-poor hackers (like me) who want to spend
their (scarse) time playing with the apps rather than debugging will go
elsewhere. (I'm quite happy learning and extending TiMidity++ for example -
it works well enough; I'm considering using it as a way of learning JACK but
the learning curve compared with translating the esd support to artsd looks
kind of steep ;-).)

<rant> I also want to be able to do this on my current machine, a Celeron 400.
Jack won't run - my machine's too slow. MPlayer won't run - my machine's too
slow. But under Windows, WMP works, dropping frames quite happily.
(TiMidity++, now I've learned how to tune it, works _better_ than under
Windows. I don't _believe_ my machine is too slow. So I object to jack and
MPlayer telling me it is.) </rant>

-- Peter