Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: The Image (usablity) problem from a Musicians point of view

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: The Image (usablity) problem from a Musicians point of view
From: David Gerard Matthews (dgm4+@pitt.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 05:33:17 EEST

John Lazzaro wrote:

>>Lea Anthony <stonekeeper_AT_stonekeeper.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>>
>>Wishing for people to write native apps for a system with no market is
>>like wishing Windows would die. It might happen, but it's not bloody
>>likely.
>>

>However, if you port a novel Linux application to Windows or OS X,
>the users on those platforms are quite happy to add the free tool
>to their workflow if it helps them do their work better. This is
>how the GNU project got its start, after all -- free, usable software
>that ran on popular commercial UNIX platforms. Sfront has taken
>this route -- most of my users are non-Linux users now.

I can think of some other examples:
pd
jMax (many users of those apps were looking for a free Max/MSP
replacement, or had been using pd on windows)
CSound
CLM/CM
(All of which started on Unices other than Linux, but hey....)

There is also a growing degree of overlap between people running OS X
and Linux. Many people I know have or have
access to both platforms, and an eye towards OS X portability might be
something *some* (I did _not_ say all or even most)
developers *might* (I did _not_ say should) keep in mind.
-dgm