RE: [linux-audio-dev] image problem

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] image problem
From: Lea Anthony (stonekeeper_AT_stonekeeper.freeserve.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 12 2002 - 23:54:36 EET

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 22:07, Taybin Rutkin wrote:
> I'm not qualified to answer this, but my working definition is that the
> LGPL specifically allows non-GPL programs to link to them. Since this is
> the main difference from the GPL, I infer that the GPL does not allow
> this.

AFAIK, LGPL allows you to statically link your own code to the LGPLed
code, _SO LONG AS_ you provide a dynamically linked version also,
somewhere. The reason being that if a 3rd party lib gets upgraded, you
can "plug and pray" with it. That's the idea anyway. It removes the
binding to the propriatory code vendor for getting upgrades on a 3rd
party lib.
Your code is still your own and you can still have it as closed source.
There is no "viral" aspect (AFAIK).

GPL on the other hand states, "you link to me in any way and you must
become GPL".

Simple As.

-Lea.