Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] Audio* Project Needs a Developer or Two

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ANN] Audio* Project Needs a Developer or Two
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2003 - 10:55:40 EEST

On 09 Apr 2003 21:15:34 -0400
Nick <nicktsocanos_AT_charter.net> wrote:

> Hi guys,

IANAL but ....

> I really don't know about the license. I had it as LGPL, but there are
> issues I don't understand. Like, can someone make commercial music with
> LGPL license?

Yes.

> Can using Port Audio with LGPL possible?

I believe that you can. The PortAudio license is BSDish (no advertising) which
according to this:

     http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

is compatible with the GPL (and hence the LGPL).

> I have code
> snippets from other sources, and can't contact the authors. Can I make
> it LGPL or GPL or not, I don't know.

If each of those snippets are

   1) bug fix patches sent to you or
   2) short demo snippets posted to mailing lists or usenet or
   3) small in comparison to the code they are going into

then I don't think it is necessary to contact the authors.

> I want the license to be, it is free, it is open, you can use it for
> whatever purpose you like. I am not responsible for the content of your
> music, nor do I make warranties about fit of use. You must honor the
> license and provide all source code if you modify it back to the
> project. I want it to be open both source, and also freedom to express
> yourself and use it commercially for music too. I want the source code
> open so people can modify it or work on it, and it can grow.

All of those aims are compatible with the GPL. However, the GPL does
allow someone to modify it for their own purposes without distributing
their changes (as soon as they distribute binaries, they must also
provide source to the people the deistribute the binaries to).

> What will probably happen is I will dump Port Audio and use Jack and
> ALSA. I will use LADSPA and Jack plugins for F/X. The effects are the
> only code I borrowed because I do not know how to make all the effects
> from scratch.
>
> But, Port Audio license said it can be used for any purpose, it is an
> open license.

See above.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"If you need a piece of paper and a pen to explain it,
then its not bleedin' obvious" -- Erik's First Law