[linux-audio-dev] What's the best audio IO API on Linux

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] What's the best audio IO API on Linux
From: Harold Zhu (harold_zhu_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Sep 12 2003 - 21:38:26 EEST

Hi, Folks:

I am new here and I am also kind of new to Linux, so I have a basic question. I have worked on a multi-media project on Windows platform, and I used WaveIn and WaveOut functions as audio IO interface to capture and playback real-time audio. Now, I need to do a port to Linux.......so what's the best audio IO API on Linux?

In my search so far, I understand that both OSS and ALSA can do the job (real-time audio capture/play).......but what's the difference? Stability wise? Ease-of-use? Performance wise? Also any other candidate, in particular, cross-platform wrapper API?

Thanks

Express yourself with MSN Messenger 6.0 -- download now!