Re: [linux-audio-dev] What's the best audio IO API on Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] What's the best audio IO API on Linux
From: hexe_2003_AT_directbox.com
Date: Mon Sep 15 2003 - 09:18:38 EEST

-------- directBOX Reply ---------------
From: harold_zhu_AT_hotmail.com
To : linux-audio-dev_AT_music.columbia.edu
Date: 15.09.2003 04:13:24

----

Hi!

Well, the main differences between the OSS-Layer and ALSA are: 1.) alsa is the new driver in linux kernel >= 2.6.X 2.) oss-layers need ioctl() - calls to manage/configure sound devices (and ioctl() calls are just possible for root-users !!!!!),so oss is really user-unfriendly if you want to programm a application 3.) alsa is easier to use for midi / pcm capturing/playback 4.) both are less documentated ( I can tell you that !!! :) ) , but alsa has a few basing programming tuts for C ( c++) 5.) alsa is basicly said a "wrapper", a front-end of the oss-arch and it is highly recommended to use alsa at all.

I hope this helps, Sascha Retzki __________________________________________________ Verpassen Sie keine eBay-Auktion und bieten Sie bequem und schnell über das Telefon mit http://www.telefonbieten.de

Ihre eMails auf dem Handy lesen - ohne Zeitverlust - 24h/Tag eMail, FAX, SMS, VoiceMail mit http://www.directbox.com