Re: [linux-audio-dev] lowlatency test at linuxdevices

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] lowlatency test at linuxdevices
From: Paul Davis (paul_AT_linuxaudiosystems.com)
Date: Fri Sep 19 2003 - 14:23:47 EEST

>An interesting historical sidenote on this came from of our programmers,
>who was deep in the BeOS. He told me that their timeslice was 3 msecs
>once everyone had 500 MHz machines. It was down to 1 msec for the never
>released R6 version... back in, what 1999? 2000?

the sad part is that the HRT patch completely removes *any* dependency
on the timeslice or timer interrupt frequency. you get timing by
reprogramming the APIC so that it interrupts the CPU at exactly the
right time. the APIC has usec resolution for this. its a much better
design than just cranking up HZ, and in fact, I would probably leave
HZ at 100 with this patch in place.

>Open source is a bit slower to move, but at least it sticks around!

So true. Anyway, at least there will be a patch; the most recent one
for 2.4.20 just came out.

--p