Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Lionstracs.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Lionstracs.
From: David Olofson (david_AT_olofson.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 2004 - 18:46:16 EET

On Tuesday 20 January 2004 15.44, Doug Wellington wrote:
[...]
> Reminds me of that old saying, "Linux is only free if your time
> isn't worth anything"...

True, sort of, but you have to remember that "there's no such thing as
a free lunch."

The big difference is that when the job is done, the result is
*really* yours to keep. You won't find yourself forced to move to a
new environment a few years later, just because someone decides it's
time to change the whole environment to comply with the latest fads,
or because the actual owner of "your" software went out of business.

Paying some cash to get started quicker can end up being *very*
expensive down the road. That's one of the major reasons why
Free/Open Source solutions are becoming more and more popular.
Cutting the short term costs often has much lower priority,
especially in the embedded and turnkey fields, where systems tend to
hang around so long that the main reason to upgrade is that the
out-of-production silicon is getting too expensive, or totally
impossible to get by.

| Free/Open Source audio engine for games and multimedia. |