Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Lionstracs.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: Lionstracs.
From: Doug Wellington (ddw_AT_dakotacom.net)
Date: Wed Jan 21 2004 - 00:04:57 EET

Previously:
>> Reminds me of that old saying, "Linux is only free if your time
>> isn't worth anything"...
>
> True, sort of, but you have to remember that "there's no such thing
> as a free lunch."

TANSTAAFL - exactly! There's always a price. Either you do it
yourself, or you have someone else do it. Time vs. money...

> The big difference is that when the job is done, the result is
> *really* yours to keep. You won't find yourself forced to move to a
> new environment a few years later, just because someone decides it's
> time to change the whole environment to comply with the latest fads,
> or because the actual owner of "your" software went out of business.

Heehee... I know plenty of people still using "old" environments and
technology! Atari? Amiga? Moog? Sequential? Fender? Vox? How
about a nice TB-303 anybody...? I know people who still swear by
Opcode, while swearing *at* Gibson. I'm still using a 450 MHz P-II
running Win98se (and Microsoft is *still* supporting it)! My main
recording softare (Paris) hasn't been updated in years! Does that
mean I have to give it up? What about that old Studer??? Oh, that
old thing...? Heck, no technology is immune to the "obsolesence due
to latest and greatest" syndrome. Look at my Waldorf Microwave XT...
Sigh...

> Paying some cash to get started quicker can end up being *very*
> expensive down the road.

Or not, depending... ;-)

> That's one of the major reasons why Free/Open Source solutions
> are becoming more and more popular.

Ah, let me guess - you're an "Open Source Advocate" aren't you?

-Doug

Damn, $300 a year for Red Hat Enterprise? I thought it was free!!!