Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA + GUI?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] LADSPA + GUI?
From: Dave Robillard (drobilla_AT_connect.carleton.ca)
Date: Mon Feb 02 2004 - 23:48:50 EET

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 14:52, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:
> What about the following idea?
>
> My LADSPA plugin would allocate a segment of shared memory from "/dev/shm".
> That is possible because most likely all Linuxes have that device.
> Then somehow I create a backdoor for LADSPA controls. The backdoor goes
> through the shared memory segment. Finally, I would write an independent
> GTK application which provides my own GUI to the plugin.

And now your LADSPA plugin won't work on anyone's machine that doesn't
have shm set up just like you do. Bad Idea(TM).

Linux Audio Developer's SIMPLE Plugin API. Don't go making your plugins
do crazy crap like that. :)

If you really want to make a custom GUI for your plugin, nothing's
stopping you from writing a simple jack/ladspa host that just takes
input, runs it through your plugin, and outputs via jack (this is really
easy BTW) and putting whatever UI you want on it. Then your plugin will
still be a normal LADSPA plugin everyone can use.

-Dave