Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software with source code?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software with source code?
From: Dave Griffiths (dave_AT_pawfal.org)
Date: Tue Feb 03 2004 - 20:17:45 EET

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:05:35 -0500, Paul Winkler wrote
> On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 04:53:06PM +0100, Vincent Touquet wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:32:36PM +0000, Steve Harris wrote:
> > >Er, yes. I think this can be left up to the submitters discression.
> > >eg. http://freshmeat.net/projects/sweep/
> > >looking at that I guess you would want
> > >required-package and recommended-package being sub-properties of depends-on
> >
> > I know the Debian system handles recommended/suggested/needed etc.
dependencies
> > pretty well, we could have a peek at whats happening there :)
>
> It would be nice to provide app authors or packagers with a trivial
> way to update the page when they release packages. A lot of the
> information we want (release date, version, dependencies...) is
> already in RPM spec files, debian control files, and gentoo ebuild
> files - we should leverage that work.

At the risk of being pedantic, what is wrong with the sound/audio section of
freshmeat?

It would be cool to have a similar audio specific site written by LAD types,
but I think it needs more of a unique angle to warrant the duplication of effort.

Dave's site is great because it is so low tech imho.

I think for advocacy purposes and general coolness, it would be nice to have a
site devoted to linux _musicians_ where we can upload and compare tracks and
production methods. More of an extension of LAU...

cheers,

dave