Re: [linux-audio-dev] Some music made with Linux

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Some music made with Linux
From: RTaylor (ricktaylor_AT_speakeasy.net)
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 23:21:44 EET

David Olofson <david_AT_olofson.net> wrote:
> On Friday 20 February 2004 23.58, Paul Winkler wrote:

> > Interesting. How the heck do you record that?
>
> In some cases, you might be able to do what they do with grand pianos
> and stuff; disassemble the instrument and/or set up things so you can
> actually record the sounds you want. (Just hammers hitting something,
> a plectrum used on something string-like except with minimal
> resonance, that kind of stuff.)
>
> Other than that, the only way is to look at each specific case and try
> to figure out how to remove unwanted components from the recorded
> sounds...

  All you really have to do is get close. {voxengo.com has an excellent
{excellent} reverb that's based on the idea. He also has some impulses... I
don't remember what the license was. He also has a few links to some other sites
that you can get them from.}

 Soundforge had the impulse modeller thing several years ago. I've ended up
combining stuff with whatever wave file seemed suitable. {saw and square waves
and reed samples being the best... you can even model sounds with themselves.}
I'm not searching for anything specific though. Soundforge came with a huge
directory full of precise images...they did have a lot of them up on their
pages. {I'm not sure what Sony's done with them though.} they're not necessary
unless you're going after scientific precision. With plain wave files you can
use the thing like a synth. Once you come to understand what specific wave files
will do when you combine them you start to get precision.

--
Though your brother's bound and gagged and they've chained him to a chair
won't you please come to Chicago just to sing? In a land that's known as