Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] pvoc-0.1.0, caps-0.1.11

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [ann] pvoc-0.1.0, caps-0.1.11
From: Jesse Chappell (jesse_AT_essej.net)
Date: Wed Mar 24 2004 - 21:00:49 EET

Tim Goetze wrote on Wed, 24-Mar-2004:

> the algorithm 'accumulates' energy from the pvoc frame bins into a
> 'static' pvoc frame, thus the basic effect sounds a bit like an echo
> or reverberation. (in fact i think it could be made to produce a
> real nice reverb tail, with a _lot_ of tweaking though.)
>
> of course this is combined with a decay mechanism so the stored energy
> doesn't stay around forever. also, for some sound effects of the
> stranger kind, Accumulate can also move the stored frequency
> coefficients around, resulting in constant glissando of the 'sound
> tail'.

This is pretty much what FreqTweak's Delay module does, although
I could not reproduce the exact Accumulate effect sound in FT upon
some basic tweaking. Of course, FT has absurdly more control :)

I've been waiting for someone to post a preset for FT that they
hand built to produce a good reverb tail, but it appears no one's
up to the challenge.....

The pitch scaling algorithm sounds quite similar to the one in
FT (which is basically the Sprengler algo from SWH's pitch scaler),
but Tim's sounds better, so I'm going to go code diving.

jlc