Re: [linux-audio-dev] (web-based) interactive sound art?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] (web-based) interactive sound art?
From: Robert Jonsson (robert.jonsson_AT_dataductus.se)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 13:59:41 EEST

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 12.41, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Francois Dechelle hat gesagt: // Francois Dechelle wrote:
> > Yep, I agree. What annoyes me in Pall Thayer's work
> > (http://www.this.is/pallit/) that you mentionned in your previous mail
> > is the fact that it relies on proprietary technologies (Java or Flash),
> > which means that GNU/Linux users who do not want to use proprietary
> > software will be excluded from it.
>
> And mp3-streaming... ;) Plus Flash is so slow on Linux. Do you happen
> to have some pointers at hand at how to make good use of SVG for Web
> based installations?

Another interesting thing is the Blender game engine. In the latest Blender
release the game engine was re-enabled (it was disabled since it relied on
proprietary libraries, since then they where aparently opened up).

It was a long time since I looked at this, but I remember there was a browser
plugin for it. I don't know if the plugin has reemerged yet, I guess it will
though. In any case, it seemed possible to do quite remarkable things with
it.

/Robert