Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Request to audio related LiveCD packagers
From: Andrea Glorioso (andrea.glorioso_AT_agnula.org)
Date: Wed May 05 2004 - 15:54:52 EEST

[ Re-putting the original Cc: list in, I think that it's a good idea
  to have all the above mentioned parties involved and I didn't read
  any explicit objection to it ]

> On tis, 2004-05-04 at 15:45, Takashi Iwai wrote:
>> 2) the firmware data is, so far, provided also under GPL, too.
>> (i.e. it is redistributable by any person.) and this looks
>> like a problem. if the firmware data is regarded as a
>> "program", the corresponding source codes must be provided.
>> but if it's nothing but "data"? how can we prove for/against
>> that?

> Ahh! (insert lightbulb ...)

> So if the firmware was just plainly distributed as "(C) foo.com
> / bar.org", then the problem would go away?

It would probably solve the original distributor's problem, but that
wouldn't mean AGNULA could distribute it inside DeMuDi (not as long as
we reach a consensus that either that firmware is not a program, or
that it is a non-free program whose distribution is permitted on the
Live CD because otherwise professional audio users will never use Free
Software).

bye,

--
Andrea Glorioso                      andrea.glorioso_AT_agnula.org
AGNULA Technical Manager                 http://www.agnula.org/