Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?
From: Frank Barknecht (fbar_AT_footils.org)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 21:12:07 EEST

Hallo,
Marek Peteraj hat gesagt: // Marek Peteraj wrote:

> Second thing is that the way you percieve them shouldn't change as you
> switch applications. Which is what VST perfectly fulfills - it provides
> its own UI.

True somehow but then also not: If I don't like a UI I'd like to be
able to change it. That's something valueable that VST doesn't allow
you to do - or makes it harder. Usablity also has to do with what
people ae used to. I think, Emacs is not useable, Emacs users think,
Vim is not. But actually both are useable, just not if you're used to
something else.

> Virtual 3d guis copy the real world. Try to do it the other way
> around, with widget sliders and one color for both sliders and
> background(most cases). Imagine a hw which would look like that.

I'm not at all against GUIs and colors. I'm only against drop shadows
(most of the time) and screws and fans (always). ;)

> > Other people will probably want just that: photo-GUIs.
>
> Because they're easier to learn and get used to.

I never have used a hardware synth. Why should I first learn to
understand hardware when I only want to use software? Imagine if Word
would show a rendered, animated image of an old fashioned typewriter
with paper extending from it as its interface. It's really strange
that audio software makers can get away with this kind of GUI design
approach.

It's okay and useful to use metaphors that are common in music
production. You see this everywhere. Ardour does this with its mixing
desk. But in Ardour this is just a metaphor, not a copy.

But then, even the GUI gurus at Apple were forced to show a
photorealistic hard disk on the OS-X desktop. Why they did, fails
me...

> > I fear, looking at the commercial audio market, that exactly these
> > might happen in the Linux Sound world: eye candy, but bad
> > usability.
>
> What you probably prefer is modularity rather than usability. It's
> what the term usability means for you.

Well, I also want modularity, but here I'm really talking about
customizability. Maybe an ideal GUI would not need that - which I
doubt. But I'm talking about things like making it easy or possible to
allow me to customize my workspace. If someone clones Reason and
inserts fans and screws, I'd like to be able to hide them or to use
another GUI.

Ciao