Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Is ladspa actually la-dsp-a? Is JACK the ultimate solution?
From: Jos Laake (jos_AT_radiks.net)
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 22:16:16 EEST

Just some thoughts...

As one who tends to use more than build these things, I can see the
pros and cons of the photorealistic GUI. For one thing, if it's
simulating a piece of equipment I once used (many years ago ;-) )
having the GUI mirror the original HW device makes a lot of sense
because I immediately remember how to run it. All my favourite
settings all "patch in" quite naturally. I like that. I can't
imagine trying to run a Mini-Moog plug in that didn't look like
one.

Having said that, I used to play my Moog with the knobs as well,
not just the keyboard. That wouldn't be very easy to do with the
GUI.

I also like the argument for knobs when you use them for settings
not going to change them much once they're set, so useability isn't
as big of an issue. Sliders aren't nearly as practical for this job.

On the other hand, I like being able to change the look of something
once I've gotten the feel of it, ala "skins". Like having the full
screen version with all the knobs and sliders and blinky lights, but
be able to minimize the effect to tiny primary controls once I have
it set up the way I want.

I know, I know, I don't ask for much. ;-) And I don't do GUI's
either. Actually, I've done so much deep level real-time systems
coding in the last 20 years, I'm very happy to let faster younger
folks have at it so I can spend my time making *MUSIC* which is
kinda my point for being here. All the same, I'm adamant about
supporting GPL solutions in professional digital audio, and the
more we can consense on what works *well enough*for most of us,
the more we move toward useability and interchangability. I'm
not so sure about "affordance" though. ;-)

Okay, there's my $1.27 worth.

Clean tracks for all!
~Jos~