Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] marketing hype
From: Alfons Adriaensen (fons.adriaensen_AT_alcatel.be)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 13:39:42 EEST

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 11:05:36AM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> My take on this, I hope I can bring this discussion to a friendlier level:

I have no intention to be unfriendly. And most people who know me would
say I'm in fact a gentle person... :-)

> Linux would 'need' an unified gui (look and feel, not so much implementation)
> for better usability.

Again the magic word. If by 'usability' you mean that there should be no
perceptible learning curve, no effort involved, no conscious choice to
dedicate your time to learning to master something, then this just a dream.

There seems to be a belief that computers and software would eleminate the
need for education and training, that sitting at a DAW turns you instantly
into a sound engineer, and clicking the mouse on soft synth makes you a
qualified musician. This is a complete fallacy, and IMHO just one
manifestation of the global dumbing-down exercise that's happening all
around us, and that is driven by those who make money out of it.

Programs have a different look and feel because that is part of the
functionality they provide. I've never seen a qualified user complain
about this - indeed it's often just what they appreciate. The only
complaints I hear are from those that believe in the fallacy I referred
to above.

I play keyboards, and I'd love to be able to play string or wind instruments
as well. Unfortunately, these are fundamentally different, and it would take
years of training and exercise. Do you think I can skip this if you give
me a violin with a keyboard interface ?

> Talking about choice: some people would like to have the choice of using
> any (Linux) app with one and the same look and feel.

Some people like all their food to taste like an MD hamburger. It's their
choice, and they have the freedom to go out and eat that stuff each day.
But if you want to taste the richness of what the world has to offer,
you'd better take a different attitude.

> Freedom and individuality are great, but the power that comes from bundling
> efforts (marching in one direction) ...

I'll restrain myself, and just say that I'm not interested in power.

--
FA